If you’re interested in slow travel and you’ve selected from all the apartments in Lisbon on offer in the city centre, the next step is to learn a bit of Lisbon lifestyle. Have a go at this lovely recipe for one of Lisbon’s traditional dishes, which you can prepare in your apartment. Best served on a balcony, with views of the River Tagus; here’s how to make the Sailors Bacalhau Gratin (Cod bake).
From your local Lisbon fish market and convenience stores, you will need:
300g of Bacalhau (desalted)
2 Egg yokes
Half an onion, chopped
4 Potatoes, cubed and sautéed
2 Cups of full or light cream
Half a glass of white wine
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
50g Toasted breadcrumbs
Cured sheep cheese or hard cheese
6 Tbsp. butter
Salt, pepper and chopped parsley, to season
1 Cup of milk and water
• Preheat oven to 175ºC, drain cod and allow to cool. Once cool, remove the skin and bones and place the cod in a food processor, shredding it lightly.
• Fry cubed potatoes until golden. Drain on absorbent paper and allow them to cool.
• In a small pan, sautée chopped onion in 2Tbsp. of butter, then transfer into a bowl. Add shredded cod and sautéed potato.
• In a smaller bowl, cream together the egg yokes, cream, mustard, salt, pepper. Then add the wine, blend together and fold into the larger bowl.
• Spoon the mixture into individual quiche dishes. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, grate cheese on top and add the last dollops of butter. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Serve with a green salad and a bottle of white wine. And there you have it, Sailors Bacalhau Gratin.